We are STUDIOAXIS.
We create responsible architecture, interiors, and urban design.
STUDIOAXIS is a place of ideas and invention, driven by a passion to connect people to each other and the world around us. Our studios are diverse creating a platform across the globe where every idea matters, and everyone has a voice – what binds us together is our unified studio culture.
STUDIOAXIS‘s mission is to deliver lasting, thoughtful design through innovation and our collaborative process that brings success and enjoyment to our clients and their projects.
STUDIOAXIS is a U.S., Thailand and India based group of architects, designers, urbanists, interior designers, and researchers. Founded in 1995 in Indianapolis, Indiana USA, our Studio’s core purpose is to elevate design through collaboration and innovation.
Our work has been recognized with the professions top accolades earning international recognition from distinguished institutions nationally and internationally winning over 130+ design awards across the globe. Our work has been widely published on the international scene earning respect from our clients, our colleagues, our consultants, and our friends.
We believe that the work we create must be of its Time, of its Place, and of its Patron. Of its Time is driven by building performance and sustainability, it is determined rationally and can adapt to the needs of tomorrow. Of its Place embraces the issues of society, the ethos of a particular culture and for the people that experience the work from inside and out. Of its Patron involves the making of an identifiable brand that can influence form, space, and the interrelationships of people within the built environment. This is how we define a timeless body of work.
The studios across the globe are currently involved in numerous projects of various scales throughout North America and Asia. Our work ranges from the design of urban places and master planning to a broad range of building typologies that include corporate headquarters and campus environments, civic and government buildings, workplace consultancy and interior environments, retail and entertainment venues, exhibition, and experimental spaces, low to high-rise residential projects, higher education, aviation and transportation facilities, and health & wellness environments.
Our design evolves through a collaborative process where our client is an integral component of a talented and diverse group of individuals with international expertise + local knowledge and includes some of the leading consultants of our time. Along with state-of-the-art drawing, modeling, and rendering platforms, our studio’s vision is to communicate the craft of making architecture and interior environments that inspire, engage, and empower. Design, when approached with a purpose, provides tools that have the power to create a better world, strengthen communities, and be a catalyst for empowerment. We design experiences and physical form that create successful, long-term partnerships with our clients.
OUTPUTProject Goals Document
- Red Dot / Green Dot Exercise
- Determine Size, Program & Location
- Determine Budget
- Conduct Site Visit with Photographs
- Determine Client’s Goals & Vision. What are their motivations for the project?
- Research the Client and their Culture
- Develop Studio Axis Goals (client happiness, studio happiness, team happiness, learning experience, win awards, national publications, sustainability, profit, mentoring opportunity).
- Research Context
- Research Local Culture
- Understand Qualitative & Quantitative Influences
- Initial Consultant Input
Concept Design Inception
OUTPUTClient Feedback of a Design Direction/s
- Initial Design Charette – Uncover the issues of Program, Context, Culture, Scale, Sustainability and Light. Ideate and develop numerous options exploring issues that surround the problem.
- Develop Clear and Distinctly Different Ideas. Ideas can be conveyed in 3D models, including precedent imagery, to convey the exterior and/or interior design approach. Ideas should approach issues of site including landscape / hardscape; massing ideas including program arrangement and how that relates to site; blocking & stacking plans with ideas about space, light, special areas and furniture.
- Develop Grid Lines by “Staying on the Module”.
- Presentation to Client and Consultant Team.
OUTPUTConcept Design Presentation for Client Approval
- Develop Site Plan including a Landscape Plan
- Develop Floor Plans with a deeper dive into the issues surrounding Program / Blocking & Stacking.
- Develop an Exterior Materials Palette with a deeper dive into the issues surrounding Context, Culture, Scale and Sustainability researching all available materials including Glass, Curtainwall / Storefront Glazing Systems, Rainscreen Systems, Stone, Terra Cotta, Brick, Metal Panels and including but not limited to Phenolic Panels.
- Develop an Interior Materials Palette with a deeper dive into the issues surrounding Program, Context, Culture, Scale, Sustainability and Light researching all available materials including Glass, Interior Glazing Systems, Stone, Wood, Metal and including but not limited to elements of a Graphics, Color, Texture and Biophilia.
- Develop the Furnishings researching the type and appropriateness of Systems Furniture / Workstations, Loose Furniture, Conference Room and Conferencing Furniture, Collaborative Furniture and Lounge Furniture.
- Work with the Consultant Team as to the effectiveness, appropriateness and cost of various Engineering Systems and present the ideas to the Client.
- Develop Reflected Ceiling Plans and develop the lighting design strategy working with a Lighting Designer.
Define Scope & Scale of Project
OUTPUTSchematic Design Presentation for Client Approval including Budget Estimate
- It is important in is this stage to describe the overall Scope and Scale of the Project with a Budget Estimate as appropriate.
- Develop the Site Plan, Floor Plans, Reflected Ceiling Plans, Building Sections and Elevations (Exterior and/or Interior) in greater Definition and Detail describing the Design Intent. Everything must be Designed by the end of Schematic Design.
- Materials Research and Design Studies should be ongoing.
- The Design Team should begin developing the Revit Model for Submission in Schematic Design.
- Program Document should be Approved / Signed by the Client.
- The project is well coordinated with the Consultant Team, including Constructability Issues.
OUTPUTDesign Development Package Approved by Client including Professional Cost Estimate
- The Design Development Stage, by definition, is all aspects of the Project are to be developed in greater definition and detail, final material selections made, furniture layouts are finalized, and Project Specifications work begins.
- The project is 100% Revit.
Construction Documents / Bid Documents
OUTPUTClient Approved Construction Documents Package at 50% Complete, 95% Complete and reviewed with Client and Final Page Turn at 100% Completion.
- All outstanding issues, including Design Issues, must be resolved, finalized, and documented.
- The Construction Documents will be issued in four (4) stages; “Issue to Consultants” at 20%, “Issue for Coordination” at 50%, “Issue for Bidding” at 95% and “Issue for Construction” including Owner comments, Value Engineering comments, and constructability review comments.
- Complete Project Specifications
- The project is 100% Revit.