Pomona College Edmunds Hall of Geology
Edmunds Hall of Geology on the Natural Sciences North Campus has transformed the Pomona College Campus, presenting a facility that reflects the world-class caliber of the School’s programs, research and learning.
In 1913, the 66-acre masterplan by Myron Hunt established a distinctive and lasting foundation for the Pomona College Campus overlaid with a Beaux-Arts symmetry and axial relationships with a regular, though informal, Southern California Landscape. Continuing the Campus’s heritage, the Lincoln and Edmunds Halls define the eastern edge of the Natural Sciences North Campus, together with the adjacent buildings, and frame the end of an outdoor garden which terminates in the Smith Tower. The composition of the two buildings work together to form Draper Courtyard on the inner precinct of the Natural Sciences North Campus.
The Edmunds Hall of Geology is a three-story structure that overlooks Draper Courtyard and anchors the northeast corner of the site. Visible from all floors of the new building, the outdoor courtyard creates both a welcoming public space and a home for the graduate student community. An art installation by James Turrell entitled “Skyspace: Dividing The Light” occupies the center of the outdoor space providing a place of rest and respite. Edmunds Hall is a modern interpretation of Mediterranean Revival Architecture and the prevalent style of architecture adopted for this historic campus.
LocationClaremont, California, USA
- ClientPomona College
- Size50,000 F²
- Project Delivered Through AECOM